Nationwide estimated 100,000 restaurants closed since #Pandemic began

Six months after the first shutdown of restaurants for the coronavirus pandemic, the restaurant industry is in limbo. According to a new survey released today by the National Restaurant Association, nearly one in six restaurants (representing nearly 100,000 restaurants) is closed either permanently or long-term; nearly 3 million employees are out of work; and the industry is on track to lose $240 billion in sales by the end of the year.

Locally many North Texas restaurants have closed doors.

The survey, which asked restaurant operators about the six-month impact of the pandemic on their businesses, found that overwhelmingly, most restaurants are still struggling to survive and don’t expect their position to improve over the next six months. The findings include:

  • Consumer spending in restaurants remained well below normal levels in August. Overall, sales were down 34 percent on average.
  • Association analysis shows that the food-service industry has lost $165 billion in revenue March through July and is on track to lose $240 billion this year.
  • National Restaurant Association research estimates that for 2020, at least 100,000 restaurants will close, but the initial scope of closures won’t be known until government statistics are released in the months ahead.
  • 60% of operators say their restaurant’s total operational costs (as a percent of sales) are higher than they were prior to the COVID-19 outbreak.
  • On average, restaurant operators say their current staffing levels are only 71 percent of what they would typically be in the absence of COVID-19.
  • In a recent consumer survey56 percent of adults said they are aware of a restaurant in their community that permanently closed during the pandemic.

“For an industry built on service and hospitality, the last six months have challenged the core understanding of our business,” said Tom Bené, President & CEO of the National Restaurant Association. “Our survival for this comes down to the creativity and entrepreneurship of owners, operators, and employees. Across the board, from independent owners to multi-unit franchise operators, restaurants are losing money every month, and they continue to struggle to serve their communities and support their employees.”

The survey also found that 40 percent of operators think it is unlikely their restaurant will be in business six months from now if there are no additional relief packages from the federal government.

“This survey reminds us that independent owners and small franchisees don’t have time on their side,” said Sean Kennedy, executive vice president of Public Affairs for the Association. “The ongoing disruptions and uncertainty make it impossible for these owners to plan for next week, much less next year.  Congress is about to leave Washington for the elections – we need them to focus on the short-term, basic solutions that have secured bipartisan support and passed one or both chambers.  We urge immediate passage of these while we work with lawmakers on the comprehensive elements of our ‘Blueprint for Restaurant Revival.’

“The food-service industry was the nation’s second largest private sector employer and pumped more than $2 trillion into the economy right up until our sudden shutdown,” Kennedy said. “Making an investment in an industry that consumers love and that powers the economy is a good business and economic move for Congress as they search for the biggest bang for their recovery buck.”

Updated: Legacy Drive shooting suspects charged in Plano TX with aggravated assault with deadly weapon

Plano Police report #planotxshooting #planocrimes

What happened? On Sept 10, Plano Police Officers were dispatched to a Shooting incident in the 100 block of Legacy Drive near U.S. 75.

Police determined shots had been fired from the parking lot into a truck, striking the driver. Another person walking to his vehicle was also struck by gunfire. Police reported that the vehicle fled before officers arrived.

The shooting victim inside the black pickup was transported by Plano Fire-Rescue to a local hospital for medical treatment. The other gunshot victim drove himself to the hospital.

Authoritie said both suffered non life-threatening injuries.

Updated: On Sept. 13, Plano Police executed arrest warrants and suspects were taken into custody without incident.

Plano Police reported the suspects have been charged in connection with the crimes. Plano Police reported that 18-year old Xavier Alexander Aguirre, 26-year old Rani Bryanna Gamboa, and 25-year old Trevaughn Cortez Linnear have been arrested.

Aguirre and Linnear have been charged with two counts of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. Gamboa has been charged with Tampering with Physical Evidence.

See who is locked up in Collin County TX.

Upon execution of a search warrant, nine firearms, $18,000 in cash, and approximately 2000 Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) cartridges were recovered.

Police report the investigation remains ongoing.

MORE COVERAGE

NBC5 DFW story 3 Arrested, Charged in Connection With Shooting in Plano

WFAA Channel 8 story 3 arrested in connection with shooting at parking lot on Legacy Drive in Plano

%d bloggers like this: