From State Senator Angela Paxton
To the countless friends, supporters, and admirers of Congressman Sam Johnson:
Congressman Johnson will be laid to rest on Monday, June 8 at a private graveside ceremony.
Johnson’s funeral procession will travel through downtown Plano late Monday morning. We invite those in the community to pay tribute to this revered and respected patriot as he departs his hometown and beloved 3rd Congressional District.
While the graveside service is closed to the public, those wishing to honor Congressman Johnson should be in place, rain or shine, no later than 11:15 a.m. on Monday, June 8.
The route will begin at Avenue K and head west on 15th Street. Gatherers are encouraged to wear red, white, and blue as they line the downtown Plano sidewalks to pay their respects to both Mr. Johnson and his family.
The procession will be in the same downtown Plano area where then-Colonel Sam Johnson was given a hero’s welcome back in 1973, when he returned home after being held as a Prisoner of War for almost seven years in Hanoi, Vietnam.
Parking will be available in the following locations:
- DART Downtown Plano Station: 15th Street and Avenue J (1001 E. 16th St., Plano, TX 75074)
- Plano Police Department: 909 14th Street, Plano, TX 75074. Parking available in the west parking lot.
- Plano City Hall: 1520 K Avenue, Plano, TX 75074. Parking available in the northern side of the building.
- Plano Courtyard Theater: 1509 H Avenue, Plano, TX 75074. Free parking is available at the rear of the Courtyard Theater-Cox Playhouse complex off G Avenue. A small number of spaces are available in front of the buildings on H Avenue.
- Plano Municipal Court Building: 900 E. 15th Street, Plano, TX 75074
- Public parking lot on the southwest corner of 14th Street & Avenue K.